Patricia Bradbury Holton Collection

These photographs were graciously donated by the Holton family in memory of Patrica Bradbury Holton.

Images in this collection show the town of Granite and surrounding area during its early years and date from 1880 to 1900. Some of the images include the writing that appeared on their backs, located next to them.

The Galvin and Bradbury families settled in Granite and worked in the local mines during the late 1880s into the 20th century.

A History of the Bradbury Family

Bradbury Family Tree

Patricia’s great-grandmother, Rachel Bradbury kept a diary during their working vacation in the summer of 1880. The family traveled by wagon from Canon City to Gothic in search of gold. They suffered many hardships, but found awe in the beauty of the Colorado mountains.

Diary of Rachel Bradbury

A view of Granite, taken ca. 1883. The ‘x’ marks the location of the courthouse which burned down in 1897.

B.W. Marsh’s Harness Shop. This building was later an Assayer’s Office and burned down in the 1920s.

The Aztec Mine in early 1900. Owner Jesse Bond is seated 8th from left.

The Aztec Mine owned by Jesse Bond. This image features two African Americans, highlighted by checkmarks.

The Belle of Granite Mine, December 22, 1900.

The Cache Creek Boarding House, 1860, located just below the Granite Cemetery.

The A.G. Curtis General Store in Granite, 1880.

The Commercial Hotel in Granite, 1883. This building was in existence during the height of Leadville’s freighting days and later became Willard’s Hotel.

At one of the mines near Granite, Frank Bradbury, Sr. is in the first row, second from left (marked by arrow).

An excursion to Twin Lakes, early 1900s.

The E Shaul Sample Room, a place where salesman showed off their merchandise. Charlie Brown’s father is on left end. This image was taken in the 1880s.

An image of the Granite train station, loading tools which are headed for Aspen. The ‘x’ marks the location of the Bradbury house. Taken in 1887.

Ball Brothers business in Granite. This building is below the school house. Taken ca. 1895.

National Meat Market in Granite. Image taken before 1882.

Monkey’s Saloon run by Boss Caswell. Boss is bearded man standing in doorway. Taken ca. 1896.

W.L. Bradburn’s Blacksmith & Wagon Shop.

This building housed the post office in Granite. Photo taken ca. 1887.

Aftermath of the 1897 Granite Fire.

Aftermath of the 1897 Granite Fire.

Granite school picnic ca. 1900.

John Galvin, Jr. highlighted with yellow streak.

Margaret Galvin and Mary Ellen Galvin Bradbury are highlighted with yellow streaks beneath.

Unknown group

Mary Galvin, Margaret Galvin, Edward Galvin, and Patrick Galvin are featured in this photo. This image was taken ca. 1891.

Mr. and Mrs. Pine at the Pine Place. This image was taken ca. 1882 and burned down in 1914.

The old Ball House was upriver above Spurr’s old home. Names of some of those pictured are: Mrs. Pratt, Mrs. Jim Ball’s mother, Miss Ball, Mrs. Jim Ball, Jim on the steps, Mrs. Murphy (?) with baby, and May Ball Whitson.

This was H.A.W. Tabor’s log house near Cache Creek. It became a school in 1883.

Willard’s Hotel

The Granite Hotel

Yard & Jester’s Blacksmith & Wagon Shop

Margaret Skeehan Galvin

Edward Francis Bradbury, ca. 1950.

Joan Bradbury

Elsie, Margaret, and Edward Bradbury. Taken in 1905.